Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Update 14

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:33 PM

Thank you so much for all the emails we received this week. I really appreciate it. Please excuse me if I do not respond immediately, but it's been a bit of a difficult week.
Claudine started with her rehab on Monday, and luckily tomorrow is a public holiday, because neither Claudine, nor I have the strength for another day of it this week.

Early in the morning we catch a "minibus" that takes us to the rehab clinic. It's an hours drive through the city. Following our arrival, Claudine has a session every hour with the PhysioTherapist, Occupational therapy ,Speech Therapist, neurophysiologist and Hydro Therapist in the pool.
Lunch time she has a good balanced meal, ans at least it's an hours rest. But believe me, when that minibus collects us at 4pm to take us back home, she is exhausted!! Then it's peak hour traffic, and like tonight, it's 6pm by the time we get back home.

It's very taxing on me too, as I am also very tired by the time we get back home, and then I have to bath Claudine, as I know that later on I just wont have the strength. So, by the time I have finished with Claudine, it's nearly 8pm, and then I still have to do a bundle of washing, or there is some place in the house that needs my attention.

Henko makes supper, and cleans up afterward. Then we prepare the clothes for tomorrow morning, and get Claudine into bed, or she wont get enough rest for the next day.
But I still make sure I read my emails every night, and then reply as soon as I can. If I see something that needs my immediate attention, I do it. Believe me, I wont put any of you onto the backburner...!

This week was full of tension, and adjustments. We were very worried about it all, but the Lord is dedicated, and carries us. The therapists speak with broken English, but at least well enough that Claudine can understand them, and what they want of her. It's a very big, modern institution, with about 50 therapists of all sorts, and they have fantastic, modern equipment, and to very good work. it's a tough program for Claudine, but I can safely say that after just 4 days of therapy Claudine has a lot more confidence with walking, and walks very well alone with the 'walker". She's also doing well with her right arm. Slowly, but she keeps trying.

Her moods go up and down. She keeps saying that maybe she should rather have died, because of how she looks now . She takes a lot of her frustrations out on me, and it's difficult for me to keep absorbing it.....
Whenever she looks at her photos from before the accident she tends to get very stressed, and asks if I think she will ever fully recover, and will be able to walk, and be normal..... Evey night, when we do evening prayers she prays hard to the Good Lord and begs him to heal her. It's so heart breaking.....

Percy, we really miss you a lot!! Your motivation, every day for Claudine, and your love and prayers for her, for everything that worries her....... You will always be her pastor, and her friend.

Missing you all... and thank you for really caring...
Love
Alta

No comments: